The
more I read words written by johns (customers of prostitutes and trafficked
people), the more I am dissuaded from my initial irate anger toward them. These
are not evil men; these are men caught in a trap. They have been caught in a
variety of different traps, some of shattered self-esteem, some of betrayal,
some of broken homes and emotions, some of unfulfillment. And by their actions
they are creating traps for these young women, by creating a market for their
owners to sell them repeatedly. Even the owners and pimps can be caught in
their own kind of trap. I am becoming ever more convinced that not a single one
of these human beings are evil. They are each imago dei, no different than I, that
have fallen into traps of lonliness and desperation, and the evil one is using
them to his own advantage, to further his personal cause of death and despair.
I see him, jumping and dancing and clapping his hands in glee at all the
destruction he has caused and that continues to perpetuate itself. He laughs at
those who continue to make decisions that serve his purpose. He is the ultimate
trafficker, forcing, frauding, and coercing us away from our true home with our
Father with false promises of a better life. I am reminded of the verse in
Ephesians 6: “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the
rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and
against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” The truth of this
verse makes itself more apparent with every day. As I continue my journey in
this fight against human trafficking, may I never forget that those whom I
fight are not my enemies, but my brothers.
No comments:
Post a Comment