Monday, July 21, 2014

Anticipation

48 Days. That's how long I have until I board a plane. That plane will take me to Washington, D.C. for one week, and then I'll get on another plane which will take me to my new home for almost a year. It's funny to imagine myself 5 or 6 months from now, when things that I have currently never experienced will by that time probably be normal, everyday occurrences. It's the unknown factor that makes something like this so intriguing and exciting.

It's also the unknown factor that makes something like this so scary. Until recently, when I've been thinking about going to South Asia, it seemed like something abstract and far in the future, not really applicable to my life. But now it's starting to sink in, and with the excitement comes fear. I'm afraid of the process of making new friends, I'm afraid of missing my family and friends at home, I'm afraid of discovering that I'm not capable of doing the tasks that need to be done, I'm afraid of feeling overwhelmed by so many new things.

I'm not afraid all the time. Mostly, I'm really excited! I get to spend a year working for an organization that is rescuing people in the name of Jesus. And also I get to do it in South Asia. When those moments of fear do come up, I need to remind myself what Jesus says about fear: don't. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus," (Philippians 4:6-7).

And really, I have no reason to doubt. God has shown himself to be faithful over and over again throughout this process, in more ways that I have the time or patience to write about right now. He brought be to this position in the first place, and there's no way he'll abandon me now. So I just have to watch in anticipation for what he's going to do next. Easier said than done, but a worthy goal all the same!

It's also been encouraging to watch other people be excited about this opportunity as well! One of the many examples is my friends Rita, Jeanna, and Josie. Rita went to the same place I'll be going a few years ago, and brought back some of the traditional clothing for Jeanna and Josie. Jeanna and Josie decided that they wanted to give that clothing to me, so I can wear it while I'm in South Asia! I was so excited. Rita helped my cousin Amie and I dress up-- it's harder than it looks! There are so many beautiful colors in this culture-- that's one of the very many things that make me excited! Also on that list are chai and fresh mangoes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment