Hey everyone! I want to keep you up to date on what my life is like over here. So I’ll share a few choice events that have taken place over the last couple weeks:
1. A retreat with Avatar.
The church I have been attending is called Avatar (not referring to the James Cameron movie, but a Hindi word referring to a person who has been resurrected from the dead). I was able to go with them on their church retreat to a beautiful place on the coast outside my city. It was so wonderful to be surrounded by nature and quiet. It was even more wonderful to make new friends— it makes it feel a little more like home.
2. A trip to the Doctor’s office.
A fever and stomach issues sent me on the adventure of experiencing a new health care system. The doctor didn’t waste any time with pleasantries (I might not either with a waiting room full of people to see me and only one doctor on staff). I only spent 5 minutes actually in the room with the doctor, but I suppose no more time was necessary, because the meds were effective and I was back on my feet again soon! The entire trip, including transportation there and back, a consult with the doctor, and three different prescription medicines cost a grand total of $6.50.
3. Rickshaws.
If you don’t know what an auto rickshaw is, stop reading right now and go google a picture. Got that picture in your mind? Now imagine that you’re in a real-life game of Mario Kart (credit for this excellent analogy goes to my roommate), racing along a bumpy road, dodging pedestrians and bicycles and potholes. Now add the sound of horns of all different kinds, honking and beeping in some sort of eclectic symphony. And now mix in the smell of sweat and garbage and exhaust. Finally, turn up the temperature to about 85 degrees, and you’ve got my morning commute! It is probably one of the most unique day-to-day experiences I will ever have. But I like it. It’s exciting, and its fun to watch my confidence grow with getting around the city, practicing the few words of Hindi I’ve learned.
4. Trains
“There’s only two rules: hold on to your stuff, and get on the train. You’re going to have to push,” said my roommate, as we were about to board the train for the first time. “Ok,” I replied, not thinking too much of it. “No, really,” she said, “You’re going to need to push people to make sure you get on. You just have to go for it.” “Ok, I got it,” I said more emphatically, remembering my recent experience on a crowded metro in the States. But I didn’t get it. t crowded metro is nothing compared to a crowded train in this city. Fortunately, my roommate anticipated my overconfidence, and helped push me through the women stampeding to get on board. “Oh,” I thought as I my heart rate began to return to normal, “You meant ACTUALLY push." But if I ever had anything against the trains (which I didn’t), all was forgiven the day I was able to get a spot by the door and feel the wind in my hair as I leaned out and watched the country speed by.
I’ve been learning a lot here as well. I wanted to share a couple of these thoughts with you as well.
1. It’s not about me.
I’ve been thinking so much about what I’ll be doing, how I’m moving to a different country, how I’ll need to adjust, and the work that I’ll be doing, that I forgot that this isn’t about me at all. All we do, even the good things we do, even the justice we try to bring, doesn’t matter in is own right. It’s all about Jesus. Everything is. So I want to apologize for the times that I’ve forgotten that and been prideful, and made this adventure about me, and not about Jesus. Because everything we're doing is for him, and he’s the one who allows us to join is his work.
2. I am so filthy rich.
I understood the concept that I was rich compared to the majority of the world, but it never truly began to settle into my soul until I’ve seen what poverty looks like. And I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with that knowledge. How do I live honorably as a person of riches in a world that is so desperately poor? I’m sure I’ll be wrestling with this one for the duration of my trip and beyond. I’d love to hear any of your thoughts!
3. Jesus loves me.
| One of the many delightful treats of the city, natural coconut water! For more of my favorite snacks, google search "gulab jamun" and "jalebi"! |
Beautiful:)
ReplyDeleteClarissa, I love all of your descriptions of events and a taste of what you are learning. I'm transported back - especially with the trains! One Indian man told Jeff and me, "Assert yourself, or you will never get off!" What an adventure. Praying for you and your team!
ReplyDelete